FOUNDER OF FRIENDS
ABOUT THE FOUNDER….
Gerard Palitha Gunasekera was born on 13th December 1961 and was educated at St. Benedict’s College, Kotahena.
After leaving school, he joined the Colombo YMCA and was appointed as the youth works secretary. In 1986, Palitha formed ‘friends’ with a vision of providing underprivileged children with opportunities to become successful citizens. It was his genuine love and affection that drove him to focus towards their welfare.
In the year 1986 Palitha migrated to Australia. And in year 2000 in Sydney the first overseas branch of FRIENDS was formed.
Palitha was a great benefactor of disadvantaged youth, with his selfless commitment, lavish generosity, inspiring leadership and unlimited kindness.
Most unfortunately, the Founder of FRIENDS left this world for good on 4th September, 2016.
‘FRIENDS’ is fully committed to carry forward our visionary leaders Legacy.
FOUNDER PATRONS OF “FRIENDS”
- REV. FR. PADMA BHARATHI
- MR. ALAGAN KADIRGAMAR- Former General Secretary of the Colombo YMCA.
- MR. HARRIS MANIKKAM- Former Deputy General Secretary Of the Colombo YMCA.
- LATE MR.UPALI SAHABANDU- Former Director of the YMCA, Prominent Sportsman, Prominent Conductor of Youth Camps & Leadership Seminars (While serving Special Task Force of the Sri Lanka Police, he laid his life for his motherland while traveling to attend an opening ceremony of a YMCA Youth Camp).
- MR. JANAKA BOTEJE- Managing Director of Bernard’s Group of Companies and Sentrino Pte Ltd.
- MR. BASIL DE SILVA- Former Deputy General Secretary of Colombo YMCA.
- MR. CHANAKA DE SILVA- Attorney at Law